The types of transactions
Our transaction tax team is made up of specialists in all key tax disciplines and can support you with a wide range of services, including:
- Pre-acquisition tax due diligence on target businesses
- Advising on tax-efficient structures to finance and integrate target acquisitions
- Pre-sale planning to identify potential tax liabilities and the options available to mitigate them
- Corporate and shareholder restructuring to facilitate a tax-efficient sale
- Responding to due diligence questionnaires and follow-up queries
- Capital gains, inheritance and income tax planning concerning sale proceeds
Buying a business
It has come to the time when you are looking to expand your business or enter a new market (as an extension to your current offering). There may be tax liabilities with the company that you wish to buy, which could affect the business’s overall value, so you will need a specialist to delve into this for you to make an informed decision.
You also need to check what tax will be deducted from the money you use to finance the deal. How much will this be? And when will it be deducted during the process?
Our team will work with you to ensure that you know what tax you will be required to pay and when, as well as what to expect once the purchase is completed.
Selling a business
There are many options when you want to sell your business; potential buyers could include trade buyers, private equity, an employee ownership trust (EOT) or a management buy-out (MBO).
If you plan to sell your business further down the line, starting early with the planning phase is advisable to explore your options. There is a lot to consider, such as potential structures, will the buyer take on all assets, or will these need to be extracted from the business, what capital gains tax will need to be paid, or will there be inheritance tax implications?
Our team can work with your chosen solicitor and our in-house corporate finance and due diligence teams to support you throughout the deal.
Have a question?
Are you thinking of buying or selling a business? Speak to a team member today to find out how best to proceed.