How to make a complaint

If at any time you would like to discuss with us how we might improve our service to you, or if you are dissatisfied with the service you are receiving, please take the matter up with the partner who normally deals with your affairs, or, if you prefer, with one of our Managing Partners or other nominated senior partner.


We undertake to look into any complaint carefully and promptly and to do all we can to explain the position to you. If we have given you less than satisfactory service, we undertake to do everything reasonable to put it right. If you are still not satisfied, you may of course take matters up with the ICAEW