At times you might need an independent accountant to quantify losses, provide valuation services or investigate financial crime
BHP has an established forensic accounting unit headed by Philip Allsop who has specialised in this work since 1993 and who is a member of the Expert Witness Institute (EWI).
We have assisted both Claimants and Defendants in a wide variety of cases, acting as both expert and adviser. Philip Allsop has also undertaken a range of instructions as single joint expert and acted as independent accountant to adjudicate in disputes including completion accounts and share valuations. He is a panel member for the ICAEW President’s Appointment Scheme.
We are a member of NIFA (the national Network of Independent Forensic Accountants), whose membership consists of independent accountancy practices throughout the UK who specialise in forensic accountancy, and are able to provide a cost effective alternative to the national firms of accountants. Membership of NIFA provides safeguards to instructing parties because it sets quality standards and monitors them by an annual review of each firm’s working files.
We have specific experience of the following:
- Commercial litigation – consequential loss, partnership disputes, completion accounts disputes.
- Company/share valuations – for share buy-back purposes and in shareholder dispute situations.
- Matrimonial – valuation of business interests, assessment of business liquidity.
- Personal injury/fatal accident claims – loss of earnings, pension losses, dependency claims, etc. (APIL expert, 1st tier)
- Professional negligence – e.g. by accountant, solicitors, financial advisers.
- Fraud and crime – investigating apparent incidences of corporate fraud, assisting the defence in fraud cases and confiscation proceedings.
Our forensic accounting team can also help to quantify a claim where losses are the fault of someone else and to assist in recovering the loss.
To discuss how our expert forensic accounting team could assist in general terms or in relation to a particular case, please call Philip Allsop on 0114 266 7171.